Sunday, December 6, 2009

Christmas Wish

I am like a little kid at Christmas. I get so excited about every aspect! I love being with my family and friends at this time of year. I love looking at Christmas lights and decorations. I love Carols By Candlelight and I love the giving and receiving of gifts.

Although it is all too easy to get caught up in the materialism of Christmas I am always so acutely aware that this time of year is not an easy time for many people. In a country that is so rich there is so much hardship, loneliness, homelessness and despair.

I wish with all my heart that I alone was able to make a huge difference to everyone who suffers at this time of year but in all reality this is not something that one person alone can achieve. However together as a human race simple acts of kindness can make this world a better place.

This year I plan to donate to the Salvation Army who I think are one of the most worthwhile causes on the planet. The Salvos do amazing things for people in need and I admire their work so much. I have already contributed to the K-Mart Giving Tree. I also hope to donate some food hampers to needy families in our area through our church. I am a huge animal lover so I will also be doing my bit for the RSPCA which is another of my favourite charities.

Of course I don't think my small contributions are going to make a huge difference but I hope in some small way they make someones day a little brighter.

So my Christmas wish is for everyone to try and help out people who are not as fortunate as we are at this special time of year. It doesn't have to be a money donation, it could be as simple as giving someone a smile and wishing them Merry Christmas or taking the time to go and say hello to someone who lives alone. It may be donating some of your time to a soup kitchen for the homeless or even sending a card to someone you haven't seen in ages.

So I encourage every single person to try and spread some Christmas cheer.

No comments:

Post a Comment