Sunday, December 6, 2009

Giving Tree

Christmas is my favourite time of the year. I love everything about Christmas. I love hearing the dorky Christmas Carols playing as I walk around the shops, I love how people decorate their homes with masses of lights.

On Friday I took my God Children to K-Mart. I got each of them to choose a tag off the K-Mart Giving Tree and then set them each a little project of finding a gift for the person on their tags within a $40 price limit.

It was quite disturbing to the two smallest children that they had to give away the presents they chose instead of keeping them for themselves. However once we had a little chat and explained to them the idea of the Giving Tree and that not everyone is as fortunate as they are they seemed okay with it. However Miss 6 must have thought about it quite deeply because later that evening she said to me "If those little kids don't get Christmas presents Santa must think they have been bad"!!! After some creative story telling I managed to convince her that Santa has been a victim of the credit crunch and he couldn't afford to buy presents for everyone this year either, which is why K-Mart are helping out!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. You must be such a lovely godmother!
    My little cousin asked the same question and my justification was that those children live in mean countries that don't let Father Christmas in to deliver their presents!

    ReplyDelete